Updated September 7, 2022
Masking on public transit
Beginning September 7, 2022, masks are optional for customers on our subways, buses, and commuter rail. We encourage riders to continue to wear masks throughout our public transit system. Please respect other riders' choices.
Subways and buses
We’re running on a regular schedule. You can get help with a Reduced-Fare MetroCard at these stations.
Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North
We have resumed collecting peak fares on all peak LIRR and Metro-North trains. Use our tool to find your best fare.
Customers may resume travel with family and friends. Visit the Access-A-Ride site for more information.
What we’re doing
- Continuing to deep-clean and disinfect stations and vehicles
- Reminding riders about precautions to keep everyone safe, including floor decals and station announcements
- Making masks and hand sanitizer available in stations
- Tracking daily ridership numbers
- Deploying station agents, ambassadors and wayfinders to help you move through stations
What you can do
- We encourage riders to wear masks, but it is optional to do so
- Consider using OMNY, our contactless payment system. Learn more here.
- Pay attention to signs in stations
- Use hand sanitizer, and wash your hands when you get to your destination
- Check for service outages before you go
Safe Travels: 24/7 Clean
Keeping our system healthy and safe
We're here to help
If you need help with something in person, you can book a time to come to our Customer Service Center.