Updated May 4, 2021
Alternatives to subway service
- The last scheduled train before the overnight closure may be as early as 1:41 a.m. at your station. Plan to get to the station early, and check service status information for your line on our homepage before you need to leave.
- Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad are cross-honoring MetroCards between some stations while subway service isn’t running. See where LIRR cross-honors MetroCards.
Overnight bus service
- All overnight buses from 2 a.m.-4 a.m., including the express routes in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens, will be $2.75. (The usual fare is in place for SIM buses.)
- We launched three new bus routes to help you travel between boroughs when the subway isn’t running.
- If your bus trip requires more than one transfer between midnight and 6 a.m., you can travel on a single fare by requesting a paper transfer from the bus operator on each leg of your trip.
Use our trip planner
Our trip planner has the most up-to-date route information about bus service.
- Set the time for your planned commute
- Under Travel Preferences, select “bus” and “express bus”
New overnight bus routes
We have launched three new overnight interborough bus routes: the Bx99, the M99, and the B99. These new routes operate every 20 minutes from 1-6 a.m.
Changes to overnight bus service
To make the most effective use of our limited resources and ensure consistent reliability on routes with higher ridership demands, we are making changes to service on some overnight routes currently experiencing very low ridership. These new changes will go into effect the morning of Thursday, October 15, 2020.
Routes with discontinued overnight service
The following routes will no longer provide service between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. This will return them to their pre-pandemic overnight schedules.
- M34/M34A SBS, M20, B39, B45, QM17
Routes with reduced overnight frequencies
The following routes will run at reduced frequencies between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. This will return them to their pre-pandemic overnight schedules.
- B15, B25, B62, B82, Bx9, Bx28, Bx40, M60, Q4, Q43, Q56