Skip to main content
Options for Paying/Entering a Bus
- Dip your Reduced-Fare MetroCard in the farebox.
- Pay with cash. You must have proper ID and exact change (no paper money or pennies).
- If you’re using an assistive mobility device, the bus operator will give you a postage-paid, pre-addressed envelope to pay by mail.
Boarding, Riding, and Leaving Buses
- Wait near the bus stop where the driver can see you.
- Signal the driver.
- The driver will position the bus to deploy the ramp/lift safely or operate the kneeling feature.
- If you’re using a wheelchair/scooter, you’re allowed to enter facing either backward or forward.
- While boarding via ramps/lifts, lock your brakes.
Riding the Bus
- Once in position on board the bus, lock your brakes again.
- The driver will secure the wheelchair/scooter.
- Priority seating for customers with disabilities and senior citizens is located behind the driver. Other passengers must make these seats available upon request.
- All new buses have seat belts and shoulder harnesses for extra safety.
Exiting the Bus
- Prior to reaching your destination, alert the driver when you want to exit by pressing the strips located in the area surrounding the windows.
- Wait until the bus comes to a stop before unlocking your brake.
- The driver will free your wheelchair from its position on the bus and activate the ramp/lift to let you disembark.
- If you have partial or total vision loss, listen closely for your stop when it is announced by a recording or by the driver, who will call out stops at major intersections. You can also ask the driver to notify you when your stop is next.
- If you miss your stop, tell the driver and he or she will drop you off at the next stop.
- You can ask the bus operator to let you off at locations along the route that are not bus stops from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily.
- If the operator can stop the bus safely at your requested stop, he or she will be let you off the bus.
- Bus Operators will continue to make all regular stops.
- Please note that Request-A-Stop service is available on local bus routes, and on express routes (only when the bus is dropping off customers). Request-A-Stop service is not available on limited-stop bus service, Select Bus Service (SBS), the nonstop portion of express bus service, or shuttle bus service.