Starting on Monday, March 13, we'll be making some changes to LIRR service to address the trends we have seen in the past two weeks. Three peak trains will now begin or end their trip at Penn Station instead of at Grand Central. We're also changing where some trains stop to better balance riders between trains.
These changes are in addition to the ones that we have made this week. We have added two or more cars to 30 of our most crowded rush hour trains. For our riders going to or from Brooklyn, we have increased rush hour service from every 12 minutes to every 8 minutes. Platform staff are now managing departures of these shuttle trains, so you are more likely to make your transfer.
You can find key details of these service changes below. Some of these updates may change your transfer options. The TrainTime app will be updated on Friday, March 10. Check before traveling on Monday to see if your trip has changed.
Thank you for your patience as everyone continues to adjust to the new schedule. We will continue to make adjustments where possible. Please check the TrainTime app often to see if any will affect your journey.
The 5:28 p.m. train from Grand Central to Babylon will now leave from Penn Station.
- The 7:31 a.m. train from Grand Central to Hempstead will now leave from Penn Station.
- Starting on Friday, March 10, the train to Penn Station that currently stops at Elmont-UBS Arena at 8:16 a.m., Queens Village at 8:19 a.m., and Hollis at 8:22 a.m. will be replaced with a Grand Central-bound train leaving 8 minutes earlier.
Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and Woodside
We're changing which trains stop at these stations during the rush hour. This gives our dispatchers more flexibility when routing trains between Manhattan and Jamaica, increasing reliability and reducing congestion for everyone.
Long Beach Branch
- The 7:54 a.m. train from Long Beach will now run to Penn Station instead of Grand Central.
- The 4:37 p.m. train from Penn Station to Wantagh will no longer stop at Lynbrook. Lynbrook customers can take the 4:31 p.m. Long Beach train from Penn Station.
Oyster Bay Branch
The 4:56 a.m. train from Oyster Bay will no longer stop at Mineola.
Port Jefferson Branch
A new early-morning weekday eastbound train will depart Jamaica at 4:40 a.m., stopping at Mineola, Hicksville, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor, and Huntington.
- Four morning and four evening rush hour trains that run only as far as Brentwood will be extended to serve Central Islip and Ronkonkoma, providing more options for riders at some of our busiest stations.
- The 5:30 a.m. train from Ronkonkoma will no longer stop at Mineola.
- The 5:42 a.m. train from Ronkonkoma will now run to Penn Station instead of Grand Central.
- The 6:53 a.m. train from Ronkonkoma will leave three minutes earlier and add stops at Deer Park and Wyandanch. The 5:24 a.m. train from Greenport will also leave three minutes earlier to connect with this train.