That's a wrap on Summer 2023, folks!
Tomorrow marks the official last day of the season and it's starting to cool down out there. While there's some gloomy weather forecast for the weekend ahead, we're excited about all that autumn has to offer in our region, and we hope you'll take advantage of it by taking public transit to get there.
Taking off from JFK Airport? Your best bet will be taking the or train to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK or LIRR to Jamaica, as trains won't be running in most of Queens. Also note that from 10 p.m. Saturday until 10 a.m. Sunday, AirTrain JFK will be replaced by free shuttle buses because of maintenance work.
Here's what else is happening this weekend (also viewable as a handy map):
- trains aren't running between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach-JFK Airport
- Downtown trains are running express from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Canal St
- Downtown trains are running on the line between 5 Av/53 St and 2 Av, and uptown between 2 Av and W 4 St-Wash Sq
- trains aren't running between 8 Av and 14 St-Union Sq
- Coney Island-bound trains are running on the line in Brooklyn
- trains aren't running between 34 St-Herald Sq and Prospect Park
For more detailed breakdowns, keep on scrolling. We’ve also got travel alternatives for stations that will be closed or skipped.
And don't forget to sign up for the MTA Weekender, a newsletter sent every Friday. You'll get these service changes directly in your inbox, with more than enough time to plan your weekend travel. Subscribe here.
Major subway service changes
trains, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens
trains aren't running between Euclid Av and Howard Beach-JFK Airport/Lefferts Blvd from 11:30 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday because of track replacement.
- Free shuttle buses are running along two routes:
- Local between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach-JFK Airport.
- Express between Euclid Av and Howard Beach-JFK Airport. (Euclid Av-bound buses stop at Aqueduct-North Conduit Av.)
- Look for signs outside your station for walking directions to the shuttle bus stop.
trains are running in two sections:
- Between Inwood-207 St and Euclid Av
- Between Howard Beach-JFK Airport and Far Rockaway.
- Travel tip: For direct service to/from JFK Airport, take the or train to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK.
From 9:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, downtown trains are running on the express track from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Canal St. This is because of structural maintenance.
- For service to/from bypassed stations, take an uptown train.
- Reminder: Board downtown trains on the express platform at 34 St-Penn Station.
From 9:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, World Trade Center-bound trains are running on the line from 5 Av/53 St to 2 Av, the last stop. Queens-bound trains are running on the line from 2 Av to W 4 St-Wash Sq. This is because of structural maintenance.
- For service to/from 7 Av, take the to/from 47-50 St-Rockefeller Ctr.
- For service to/from 50 St and 23 St, take an uptown train.
- For service to/from 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal, 34 St-Penn Station, 14 St, Spring St, Canal St, and World Trade Center (Chambers St) take the or train.
- Note: There is no downtown service at 50 St, 23 St, and Spring St.
trains are not running between 8 Av and 14 St-Union Sq in either direction from 11:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday because of structural maintenance.
- M14A/D-SBS and free L92 shuttle buses provide alternate service at 8 Av, 6 Av, and 14 St-Union Sq. Transfer between the M14/L92 and at 14 St-Union Sq.
- trains are running between 14 St-Union Sq and Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy.
From 11:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, there's no Coney Island-bound service between 36 St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av. All Coney Island-bound trains will run on the (express) between those stations. This is because of track replacement work.
- For Coney Island-bound service from these stations, take a Manhattan-bound train to 62 St/New Utrecht Av or 36 St, then transfer.
- For service to these stations, take a Coney Island-bound train to 62 St/New Utrecht Av or Coney Island-Stillwell Av, then transfer.
trains, Manhattan and Brooklyn
trains aren't running between 34 St-Herald Sq and Prospect Park in either direction from 11:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday because of track replacement.
- Free Q90 shuttle buses are running between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Prospect Park, making a stop at 7 Av. Look for signs outside your station for walking directions to the shuttle bus stop.
- For service to/from 14 St-Union Sq, Canal St, and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, take trains.
- For direct service between Midtown and Brooklyn, take trains. Transfer to/from trains at 34 St-Herald Sq and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
trains are running in two sections:
- Between 96 St and 34 St-Herald Sq.
- Between Prospect Park and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.
Other service changes
At 191 St, the Broadway entrance tunnel is currently closed until 7 p.m. Saturday while NYCDOT commissions new art installations.
- The St. Nicholas Av entrance remains open.
- Consider using the nearby 190 St station, or take the M100 or Bx7 bus to 168 St .
34 St-boundtrains are running on the express track from Mets-Willets Pt to 74 St-Broadway from 11:45 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday because of station improvement work.
- For service to/from bypassed stations, take a Flushing-bound train.
- Reminder: The Manhattan-bound platforms at 111 St and 82 St-Jackson Hts are closed 24/7 through Fall 2023 for rehabilitation work.
Manhattan-bound trains are running on the express track from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza from 11:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday because of station improvement work.
- For service to/from bypassed stations, take a Queens-bound train.
- Reminder: trains don't run in Queens overnight.
Metro-North Railroad service changes
Port Jervis Branch
Trains are not running between Port Jervis and Suffern in either direction on Saturday and Sunday.
- Buses are running between Ramsey-Route 17 and all stations between Sloatsburg and Port Jervis.
- Trains are running between Hoboken and Suffern on a modified schedule. Express trains are not running.
- Riders traveling from Otisville and Salisbury Mills to Hoboken and New York should consider using the Middletown or Harriman stations instead. Only local bus service is available, which does not connect with the train at Ramsey-Route 17.
- Bus service begins with the 12:39 a.m. from Hoboken early Saturday morning and train service resumes with the 12:39 a.m. from Hoboken early Monday morning.
- See the full bus schedule here.
These service changes are subject to change, so check the MTA homepage before heading out; it's where you'll find up-to-the-minute information on subway, bus, and rail service. Our apps — MYmta and TrainTime — also provide real-time service information.
You can also contact us in real-time for help planning your trip. We’re reachable via phone, on Twitter, WhatsApp, and more.