The days are getting shorter, the weather is getting colder, and the holidays are fast approaching. If you're planning on doing some holiday shopping this weekend — or anything else, really — public transit is the way to go!
This weekend offers another opportunity to ride the New York Transit Museum's annual Holiday Nostalgia Train, making express stops on the local line between 137 St-City College and Chambers St. It's happening every Sunday through December 18, from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Learn more.
It's also SantaCon weekend, and yes, there is an alcohol ban in effect on Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North on Saturday. This is to maintain orderly travel during the event — and keep us all on Santa’s nice list!
Whatever you do this weekend, you'll want to know about service changes before you head out. Here's what's going on:
- trains aren't running between Crown Hts-Utica Av and New Lots Av
- trains aren't running between Norwood-205 St and 161 St-Yankee Stadium
- trains aren't running between Briarwood and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer (use the LIRR or to get to JFK Airport this weekend)
- trains aren't running between Church Av and Coney Island
- trains aren't running between Jefferson Av and Tottenville
For more detailed breakdowns, keep on scrolling — we’ve also got travel alternatives for stations that will be closed or skipped.
And don't forget to sign up for the MTA Weekender, a newsletter sent every Friday. You'll get these service changes directly in your inbox, with more than enough time to plan your weekend travel. Subscribe here.
Major subway service changes
Trains are not running between Crown Hts-Utica Av and New Lots Av from 3:30 a.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday because of track replacement work.
- Free shuttle buses are running between Crown Hts-Utica Av and New Lots Av. Look for signs outside your station for walking directions to the shuttle bus stop.
- trains are running between Harlem-148 St and Crown Hts-Utica Av, except overnight, when they will only run between Harlem-148 St and Times Sq-42 St.
- trains are running between Woodlawn and Crown Hts-Utica Av.
trains, Bronx and Brooklyn
Bronx: From 11:30 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, trains are not running between 161 St-Yankee Stadium and Norwood-205 St in both directions, and Coney Island-bound trains are not stopping at 155 St. This is because of structural maintenance work.
- trains are running between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 161 St-Yankee Stadium.
- For service to/from 155 St, take a Bronx-bound train.
- For service between 161 St-Yankee Stadium and Bedford Park Blvd, take the .
- Norwood-205 St is connected by a free shuttle bus to Mosholu Pkwy . Transfer between the and the at 161 St-Yankee Stadium.
Brooklyn: From 11:45 p.m. Saturday to 8 p.m. Sunday, there's no Manhattan-bound service between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 36 St. All trains will run on the between those stations.
- For Manhattan-bound service to/from these stations, take a Coney Island-bound train, then transfer.
Trains are not running between Briarwood and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer in both directions from 11:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday because of communications improvement work.
- Free shuttle buses are running between Kew Gardens-Union Tpke and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer. Look for signs outside your station for walking directions to the shuttle bus stop.
- trains are running between World Trade Center and Kew Gardens-Union Tpke, and then via the to/from Jamaica-179 St.
- If you're headed to JFK Airport from Midtown or Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av, take LIRR from Penn Station or Woodside (via the ). LIRR will cross-honor NYCT customers at Penn Station, Woodside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens and Jamaica. You can also take a downtown to Howard Beach.
Trains are not running between Church Av and Coney Island-Stillwell Av in either direction from 3:45 a.m. Saturday to 6 p.m. Sunday because of signal modernization work.
- For service to/from stations between Church Av and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, use local buses or nearby and stations.
trains, Staten Island
Trains are not running between Jefferson Av and Tottenville in either direction from 12 a.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Monday because of maintenance work.
- Free shuttle buses are running between Jefferson Av and Tottenville. Look for signs outside your station for walking directions to the shuttle bus stop.
- trains are running between St George and Jefferson Av.
Other service changes
trains, Manhattan and Bronx
Train service is extended to Bowling Green in both directions from 12:01 a.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday because of track maintenance.
- trains will make stops at Fulton St, Wall St, and Bowling Green.
Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains are running on the express track from Pelham Bay Park to Parkchester from 3:45 a.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday because of station improvement work.
- For service to/from bypassed stations, take a Pelham Bay Park-bound train.
trains, Manhattan and Brooklyn
From 9:45 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, downtown trains are running on the express track from 125 St to 59 St-Columbus Circle in Manhattan, and from Broadway Junction to Euclid Av in Brooklyn. This is because of track maintenance.
- For service to/from bypassed stations, take an uptown train.
Jamaica-bound trains are running on the express track from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to Forest Hills-71 Av from 12:15 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Sunday because of signal modernization work.
- For service to/from bypassed stations, take a Manhattan-bound train.
These service changes are subject to change, so check the MTA homepage before heading out; it's where you'll find up-to-the-minute information on subway, bus, and rail service. Our apps — MYmta and TrainTime — also provide real-time service information.
You can also contact us in real time for help planning your trip. We’re reachable via phone, on Twitter, WhatsApp, and more.