Updated September 7, 2022
Masking on public transit
Beginning September 7, 2022, masks are optional for customers on our subways, buses, and commuter rail. We encourage riders to continue to wear masks throughout our public transit system. Please respect other riders' choices.
Subways and buses
We’re running on a regular schedule. You can get help with a Reduced-Fare MetroCard at these stations.
What we’re doing
- Continuing to deep-clean and disinfect stations and vehicles
- Reminding riders about precautions to keep everyone safe, including floor decals and station announcements
- Making masks and hand sanitizer available in stations
- Tracking daily ridership numbers
- Deploying station agents, ambassadors and wayfinders to help you move through stations