The subways, rails, bridges, and tunnels have been on film for ages. We've transformed a subway car into a Middle Earth fantasy world with Gollum statues, and Grand Central Terminal’s lofty arches and elegant marble have been featured in Alfred Hitchcock’s "North by Northwest" and the dreamy waltz number in "The Fisher King."
We’ve worked with modern TV and film crews for decades, meeting every kind of demanding technical, logistical, and scheduling requirement.
Across all of its properties, the MTA has a look that fits any era you are trying to replicate on film. We’re a location manager’s dream.
These are some of the locations we offer:
- Historic bridges, such as the Throgs Neck and the Verrazzano-Narrows
- Underground locations isolated from public view
- Exteriors that showcase a range of residential and city views
The MTA has you covered.
Films and TV shows featuring our subways, buses, and trains
- "John Wick" Trilogy
- "The Joker"
- "Orange is the New Black"
- "West Side Story"
- Michael Jackson’s "Bad" music video
- "Carlito’s Way"
- "Boardwalk Empire"
- Disney’s "The Sorcerer’s Apprentice"
- "Men in Black"
- "Motherless Brooklyn"
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog"
- "The Americans"
- "The Looming Tower"
- "Search Party"
- "The Loudest Voice"
- "Bad Education"
- "Spider-Man: Far from Home"
- "The Affair"
- "World’s Busiest Train Stations" (UK)
- "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
- "The Flight Attendant"
- "Revolutionary Road"
- "The Avengers"
- "Sneaky Pete"
- "Mr. Robot"
- "Girl on the Train"
Important things to know
- We need a letter of intent, script, and storyboard.
- We require insurance minimums for general liability, automotive liability, and workmen’s compensation. If your request includes a platform or a train, we also require proof of a railroad protective liability insurance binder. (Note: Insurance requirements may differ by agency.)
- On the platform: All equipment and personnel must remain behind the yellow tiles.
- On the tracks: Everyone in your production group who may have to work on or near the tracks must take a track safety course. This ensures that the crew and actors will learn proper procedures to protect themselves against possible track dangers, as well as about being next to moving trains.
- Our fee depends upon the scope of your project, the number of transit workers required to assist your production company, the type of equipment appropriate for your production, and the duration of filming.
- Please provide a minimum of three weeks lead time.
- All current productions must have a COVID Safety Officer and share their COVID Safety Plan, as well as the Affirmation Page from their New York Forward Reopening Plan.
- Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, all media productions must limit occupancy to no more than 50% of the maximum for any area on MTA property as set by the certificate of occupancy and on board train cars. Only essential cast and crew will be allowed on the premises.
- Everyone must wear acceptable face coverings (consult CDC guidance and NYS requirements for acceptable face coverings) at all times when on MTA property.
We look forward to working with you to make the best New York movie possible.