Processing time for MetroCard claims
We have resumed processing MetroCard claims, following a pause in processing because of the pandemic. These claims include refunds, balance protection claims, and applications for Reduced-Fare and EasyPayXpress MetroCards.
If you filed a claim while our operations were paused, know that we are addressing claims as quickly as we can. If you want to file a claim now, the best way to do that is online.
We’re processing claims starting with the oldest first. We’re currently working through claims filed in February for full-fare MetroCards and the beginning of March for Reduced-Fare MetroCards.
Standard MetroCard Fares
- Base Pay-Per-Ride fare: $2.75
- Single ride fare (only available at vending machines): $3
- 30-Day Unlimited Ride: $127
- 7-Day Unlimited Ride: $33
- Express Bus: $6.75
- Express Bus Plus 7-Day: $62
Reduced fares apply to seniors 65 or older and customers with disabilities. Learn more and apply.
- Subway, Local Bus, Select Bus: $1.35
- 30-Day Unlimited Ride: $63.50
- 7-Day Unlimited Ride: $16.50
- Express Bus (off-peak only): $3.35
Other ways to save on fares
- Check whether you qualify for the Fair Fares program, a 50% discount on subway and eligible bus fares for low-income New Yorkers
- Use your free transfers. Rides include a free transfer between subway and local bus and between local buses.
- Frequent rider? Consider buying an Unlimited Ride MetroCard.
- Refill the card you have. There is a $1 fee for each new MetroCard, so you save money and reduce waste by refilling cards. Or try the EasyPay option for automatic refills.
- To find your best fare options, use our MetroCard Fare Calculator.
OMNY: A New Way to Pay
OMNY is the MTA’s new fare payment system. With OMNY, you can use your own contactless card or smart device to make fare payments and enter the system. OMNY will combine fare payments and mobile ticketing across subways, buses, and commuter rail.
Registering for an OMNY account gives you access to a secure, personalized dashboard. Using the account dashboard, you can:
- View your trips and charges,
- Manage your payment methods,
- Ask OMNY customer service representatives questions
As the MTA rolls out OMNY between 2019 and 2023, you can still use MetroCard and eTix.