About reduced fares
- The reduced fare for subways and local, limited, and Select Bus Service buses is $1.45 (half the $2.90 base fare) at all times of the day for eligible customers.
- On express bus trips, you will pay the reduced fare anytime except during weekday peak periods, 6 to 10 a.m. and 3 to 7 p.m.
- On Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North, you will pay the reduced fare anytime except weekday mornings from 6 to 10 a.m. if traveling in the direction of NYC Transit terminals.
- If you have a Reduced-Fare MetroCard, you can switch to OMNY. Just use the digital assistant to link your Reduced-Fare benefit to your smart phone with digital wallet enabled, or a contactless card. It’s quick and easy.
Who qualifies for Reduced Fare?
Any person aged 65 or over, or any person with a qualifying disability:
- Receiving Medicare benefits for any reason other than age
- Serious mental illness and receiving Supplemental Security Income
- Deafness or Hearing Loss
- Ambulatory Disability
- Cognitive Disability
- Other Physical Disability
How to apply for a Reduced-Fare MetroCard
Switch to OMNY for auto-refills
Link your Reduced-Fare benefit to a smartphone, wearable decide, or a contactless debit or credit card and you won’t have to reload your card with fare value. Plus, you get free rides after 12 fares within seven days using the same device or contactless card.
How to refill your Reduced-Fare MetroCard
At a MetroCard Vending Machine
- Insert your reduced-fare card into the MetroCard Vending Machine in stations.
- Refill it using credit, debit, or cash.
- When the machine returns your card, you can swipe it at a subway turnstile or dip it in the bus farebox and the reduced fare will be automatically applied.
Transferring value from an expired MetroCard
You have two years from the expiration date to transfer any remaining value to a new MetroCard. Within the first year, you can transfer the balance in person at a mobile sales bus or van, our Customer Service Center, or selected subway stations. After a year, you'll need to mail your MetroCard to us to transfer the balance.
At a mobile sales bus or van
To transfer value from an expired card to a new one, visit one of our mobile sales buses and vans.
At our Customer Service Center
You can also make an appointment to visit our Customer Service Center at 3 Stone Street in Lower Manhattan. For customers who are non-English speakers or have limited English proficiency, interpreter services are available free of charge.
At a station booth
Some station booths are making reduced-fare transactions.
- 161 St-Yankee Stadium , Booth N203, 161st Street and Grand Concourse
- E 180 St , Booth R325, East 180th Street and Morris Park Avenue
- Fordham Rd , Booth R289, Fordham Road and Jerome Avenue
- Parkchester , Booth R417, Hugh J. Grant Circle and Westchester Avenue
- Pelham Bay Park , Booth R423, Pelham Bay Park and Westchester Avenue
- Atlantic Av Barclays Center lines and LIRR , Booth R610, near the northbound
- Coney Island-Stillwell Av , Booth G1, at the Stillwell Avenue and Surf Avenue entrance
- Crown Heights-Utica Av , Booth R626, at Eastern Parkway and Utica Avenue
- Kings Highway , Booth B24, between East 15th and 16th streets
- Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs , Booth H26, Gates Avenue and Wyckoff Avenue
- 34 St-Penn Station , Booth R138, mezzanine at Seventh Avenue and 33rd Street
- 42 St-Times Square , Booth R147, East side of 42nd Street and Seventh Avenue and Booth R151, West side of 42nd Street and Seventh Avenue
- 96 St , Booth R169, Broadway between West 95th and West 96th streets
- 125 St , Booth R258, Lexington Avenue at East 125th Street
- 168 St-Washington Heights , Booth N13, 168th Street at St. Nicholas Avenue
- Fulton St line at the Broadway entrance , Booth N95, on the
- Flushing Main St , Booths R533, at the Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue entrance and Booth R534, at the entrance on Roosevelt Avenue between Union Street and Main Street
- Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av , Booth N324, at the entrance on 74th Street and Broadway
- Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer , Booth N606, Parsons Boulevard and Archer Avenue
- Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport , Booth N605, Sutphin Boulevard and Archer Avenue
- St. George
After a year, you will need to mail your MetroCard to:
New York City Transit
Attention: MetroCard Customer Claims
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201-9875
You can also ask a for a postage-paid envelope in any subway station.