Bicycle Access Permits
You no longer need a permit to bring a bicycle on Metro-North Railroad trains.
Types of Bicycles
- All bicycles carried on board must be clean and free of excessive dirt and grease at all times
- Cyclists may board trains only after all other customers have boarded
- Watch the gap while entering and exiting the train with bicycles
- Cyclists must remain in the immediate proximity and in full control of their bicycles at all times
- Single-seat, human-powered, two-wheeled vehicles, with a wheel diameter not in excess of 27 inches and maximum dimensions of 80"x 48". These bicycles require a Metro-North/Long Island Rail Road permit.
- Not permitted: Bicycles in excess of the above dimensions, as well as tandem, motorized, or training-wheeled bicycles, tricycles, or bicycles with any protrusions that could cause injury or damage.
- True folding bicycles do not require a permit, but must remain folded at all times.
For West of Hudson service, New Jersey Transit (NJT) rules apply.