1. Home
  2. Press Releases
  3. UPDATE: MTA Bridge and Tunnel Officers Issue Multiple Summonses to Truck Driver Who Became Wedged Inside Hugh L. Carey Tunnel

UPDATE: MTA Bridge and Tunnel Officers Issue Multiple Summonses to Truck Driver Who Became Wedged Inside Hugh L. Carey Tunnel

UPDATE: The Hugh L. Carey Tunnel fully reopened to traffic at 3:10 p.m. following safety inspections in the Brooklyn-bound tube.
Bridges and Tunnels
Updated September 28, 2023 2:00 p.m.
18 Wheeler Lodged in Brooklyn-bound Hugh L. Carey Tunnel

Heavy Traffic Conditions Resulted from Tube Closure; Limited Two-Way Operation via Remaining Tube


Tunnel Expected to Fully Reopen by This Afternoon’s Rush Hour


View Video of Efforts by MTA and FDNY to Remove Truck


View Photos of Crews Removing the Truck from Tunnel


View Briefing By MTA B&T President Catherine Sheridan


Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Bridges and Tunnels (B&T) President Catherine Sheridan joined Bridge and Tunnel (B&T) officers and FDNY personnel this morning inside the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel between Brooklyn and Manhattan at the scene where an 18-wheel tractor trailer became stuck in the Brooklyn-bound tube, after driving approximately 1 mile into the 1.7-mile tunnel at approximately 10:15 a.m. The truck driver ignored multiple warnings from B&T officers not to enter the tunnel as well as signs posted at the entry to the tunnel warning motorists about a height restriction of 12”1’. In addition, the tunnel entered by this truck was marked closed, indicated by a large red ‘X’ over the entrance.

The truck driver was issued numerous summonses including traveling in an HOV lane, disobeying posted over-height warning signs, damage to property, failure to obey an officer, driving an unregistered vehicle, and operating with a flat tire.

The wedged truck created heavy traffic conditions in both Manhattan-bound and Brooklyn-bound directions stretching for miles during midday hours as MTA and FDNY emergency personnel used heavy-duty cutting equipment to remove parts of the trailer and truck to allow it to be towed out. The truck was fully removed from the tunnel shortly after 12:00 p.m.

“This driver blatantly ignored numerous highway warning signs and a Bridge and Tunnel Officer who tried to stop it from entering the tunnel,” said MTA Bridges and Tunnels President Catherine Sheridan. “Those reckless actions caused delays to the end of the morning commute, inconveniencing hundreds of other drivers. I commend our MTA Bridges and Tunnels employees, and the FDNY and authorized tow partners for reacting quickly to safely remove the vehicle.”

Following removal of the truck, MTA engineers performed safety inspections on the ceiling of the tunnel from the Brooklyn end to the midpoint, to ensure it was structurally sound before reopening to traffic at 3:10 p.m. for the afternoon rush hour.

The tractor-trailer was carrying paint, with one shipment dropped in Brooklyn before the incident, and an additional load on the way to Port Washington, Long Island, at the time the trip was interrupted.